Hymans Robertson is one of the UK’s leading pensions, investment and benefit consultancies, employing over 800 staff in four UK offices. The firm operates as an independent partnership and prides itself on an innovative, client focused approach. Our clients include some of the UK’s leading names and largest pension schemes, while our continued growth and success has been recognised by numerous industry awards.
Legal Counsel, Edinburgh or Glasgow Based (12 Month Fixed Term Contact)
We are seeking to hire an additional Legal Counsel’s to add to our busy in-house team. You will have had quality experience either in-house or in private practice dealing with legal matters, including commercial contracts. The role will involve drafting and negotiating contracts and being part of projects for our various business areas within the group, including our new diversifying areas.
Experience in financial services or pensions or with a professional services firm would be an advantage, as would experience with financial advisers/platforms/asset managers, in the retail financial market or in the US.
You will act as an internal consultant and as such, will have extensive dealings directly with the consultants in the firm, including our Partners. So, it’s important that you are confident and have the necessary expertise and ability to quickly gain credibility. It will require flexibility to enable support to often deadline driven work.
We would be happy for you to work in either our Edinburgh or Glasgow office or alternatively London.
As part of our busy legal team, your day to day responsibilities will be to:
- Develop knowledge and understanding of key area’s propositions, core business and associated risks and work with that area to shape solutions that meet requirements. This may be across our Pensions, Financial Services and/or Individual Wealth markets.
- Draft, review and negotiate a wide variety of commercial contracts for our full range of professional services, consulting, online and data services. This may include tender responses, collaboration agreements, client contracts, introducer and distribution agreements, licences, data protection agreements, non-reliance letters, NDAs, consumer terms, website terms and supplier agreements.
- Take the legal lead on these contracts and projects to drive them forward, alongside the wider business.
- Advise the business on wide variety of legal issues, such as data protection.
- Draft best practice notes on topical issues for use across the firm, develop and maintain processes, policies, guidance and templates and assist in training.
- Network with key people/teams within (and out with the firm) as required to promote the firm and to facilitate solutions to key initiatives/projects/issues.
- Positively contribute to the legal team, creating a professional, effective, high quality and approachable resource for the business.
- Pragmatic and solutions driven.
- Flexible and adaptable.
- Logical and organised.
- Excellent communication, presentation and interpersonal skills.
- Able to take on responsibility and to quickly gain credibility.
- Able to use your initiative and work individually or as part of a team.
- Able to take a pro-active approach and present new ideas and ways of working.
- Motivated by working under pressure and to tight timescales.
- Passionate about learning and personal development.
Qualifications and Experience:
- A qualified Solicitor in Scotland or England with appropriate experience in commercial contract drafting and negotiation.
- Relevant practice based and/or in-house experience, ideally in an FCA regulated environment or financial services or professional services firm.
- Exposure to the pensions or wider financial services industry (preferable but not essential).
- Experience with financial advisers/platforms/asset managers, in the retail financial market or in the US (preferable but not essential).
- Good working knowledge of IT systems.
- Proven ability to deliver on projects and initiatives and provide workable solutions.
In return we offer:
- A highly competitive salary.
- Award Winning Benefits package.
- Shared Values – Confident, Friendly, Partnering & Straightforward.
- Exceptional learning & development opportunities.
- An excellent working environment with a strong social scene.
- Opportunities to give back through volunteering initiatives.
- In summary, you can expect a highly competitive salary and an award winning comprehensive benefits package, including full study support where applicable, a share of the firm’s profits, good work life balance, ability to buy and sell holidays, your birthday off and huge array of other flexible benefits. The firm is committed to the personal and career development of all employees and this position offers excellent growth potential within a dynamic and growing organisation.
For a confidential discussion about this position or to apply please click on the Apply Button or contact:
David Thomson, Director
Edinburgh: 0131 450 7164
Glasgow: 0141 244 0260