Matheson is the law firm of choice for internationally focused companies and financial institutions doing business in and from Ireland. More than 720 people work across the firm’s offices in Dublin, Cork, London, New York, Palo Alto and San Francisco. Our clients include over half of the Fortune 100 companies. We also advise 7 of the top 10 global technology brands and the majority of the world’s 50 largest banks.
We have an opportunity for an experienced financial services regulatory lawyer to join our Financial Institutions Group. You will be joining a team with a proven track record in advising a wide range of leading domestic and international financial institutions on all aspects of financial services law and regulation.
About the role:
In this role you will have a particular focus on advising banks, MiFID investment firms, asset managers, fund promoters, trading platforms, intermediaries and brokers on all aspects of Irish and EU financial regulation and compliance and related matters. You will be working on and leading complex and novel matters for major international and domestic clients, mentoring junior members of the team and working closely with the partners to help grow and develop the practice even further.
In this role you will:
- Provide advice to financial institutions on compliance with industry guidance, legislation and codes issued by the Central Bank of Ireland;
- Advise on regulatory capital, liquidity, leverage and other prudential requirements for banks and investment firms including CRR, CRD, BRRD, IFD, IFR, SRB;
- Advise on conduct of business requirements for investment firms, banks, including MiFID, IIA, SFDR, and related EU guidance, client asset requirements, regulatory reporting requirements, fitness and probity requirements and other requirements, anti-money laundering and related corporate governance codes, and Central Bank codes including the consumer protection code and minimum competency code;
- Advise on consumer credit regulation and requirements in relation to credit servicing firms;
- Advise on Securities Markets regulation including market abuse regulation, prospectus regulation, transparency regulation, wholesale market conduct, benchmarks regulation and SFTR;
- Work collaboratively as part of multi-disciplinary specialist teams on high value and business critical client projects;
- Manage junior and associate solicitors and help mentor and develop them;
- Participate in a variety of business development opportunities including representing Matheson at international conferences and events, and presenting at Matheson client events; and
- Help drive thought leadership in financial services regulatory law through the Matheson client knowledge programme.
You are an experienced Lawyer with a strong track record in financial services regulatory matters. You have a high level of technical expertise and a strong business development track record. You are highly client focused and committed to consistently exceeding client expectations. You can manage a diverse workload, deliver quality, commercially-focused advice with minimal supervision, and lead and develop junior lawyers. You enjoy the law you practice, and are hardworking and resilient. You will thrive in a diverse and inclusive environment where you will work in partnership with top legal talent in a market leading team that is continuing to grow. You will enjoy establishing relationships with a diverse range of clients and colleagues. You are enthusiastic about business development, helping develop your junior colleagues to their maximum potential in managing valuable client relationships as part of the team.
Why join Matheson
At Matheson you have the opportunity to work with exceptional people and a broad range of high calibre domestic and international clients. We want to hire the best people and provide them with an environment where they can thrive. We have an active D&I committee who are responsible for delivering a range of diversity initiatives. We take our commitment to our local community seriously through a variety of CSR initiatives where you can volunteer your time and expertise. We offer agile working and the technology to facilitate it. We provide an excellent working environment, a competitive benefits package and the opportunity to engage in a range of learning and development initiatives. We value a diverse and inclusive workforce and are an equal opportunities employer.
We are a partnership – with our clients and each other. We value teamwork and collaboration.
Respect is at the core of how we engage with each other, our clients and the work we do.
We challenge the status quo and seek better ways to work, create value for our clients and empower our people to innovate.
We foster diversity and value all contributions and perspectives.
We are business-focused and solution oriented, using strong commercial acumen to serve our clients.
For a confidential discussion about this position or to apply, please contact:
David Thomson, Director
Dublin: +353 (0) 1 699 1360