M Squared is a leading and unique deep tech photonics and quantum technology business that sets out to use light- and light-based technologies to change the world by exploring, developing, and manufacturing next-generation lasers and photonics instruments. Our product portfolio has a wide range of potential applications including frontier science, remote sensing, biophotonics & cancer detection, through to defence & security and discovery of explosives. Working with partners the world over, we are a key provider to technology customers and researchers worldwide, including supporting Nobel Prize-winning work in medicine, chemical engineering and quantum technology.
Please visit our website at: http://www.m2lasers.com
We are explorers, entrepreneurs, designers and engineers – on a mission to realise the potential of advanced photonic technologies. Across every role at M Squared, we are champions of progress and take pride in our shared commitment to advancing the global scientific agenda.
We have a presence all over the world with key locations in the USA and Europe. Our headquarters and dedicated quantum centre are located in Glasgow, and our biophotonics division, M Squared Life, operates from Surrey in the UK. In the USA, we have offices in Paulo Alto, California and Cambridge, Massachusetts, near MIT and Harvard University.
Strongly associated with science, technology and innovation, our work receives widespread recognition and awards for our contribution to industry, science and enterprises, including the Sunday Times Tech Track & SME Export Track, Metis IP, Queens’ Award for Enterprise, Amazon Growing Business Awards, National Business Awards and IOP Innovation Award.
We are curious, pioneering, collaborative, reliable, ambitious, open.
M Squared has a rare and exciting opportunity for a qualified lawyer to join our in-house team as Associate General Counsel/ Senior Legal Counsel, to be based at our Glasgow headquarters. This is a key appointment, reporting directly to the General Counsel.
- As a key strategic addition to M Squared’s focused, commercial and agile group-wide Group Legal function, a key deliverable is directly supporting the General Counsel in legal/regulatory compliance and IP management across the business.
- A busy, stimulating, demanding and varied position that genuinely offers the chance to utilise legal skills in the context of a world-changing science and technology business.
- Managing legal risk and maintenance of robust business processes for legal compliance and operations, including ensuring there is appropriate legal framework across the organisation, including IP exploitation, licensing in, R&D, sales process, corporate transactional, company secretarial, compliance and regulatory.
- Ability to operate with autonomy and independence in a fast paced and dynamic environment.
- Managing strategic projects and in managing external counsel.
- M Squared’s Group Legal is an active and enthusiastic introducer and user of enabling data technology solutions to create opportunities and efficiencies within the legal function and business generally.
- Admitted to practice law in Scotland and/or England and Wales (dual-qualification desirable). Ideally 5+ years post qualification experience (PQE) in technology/intellectual property/corporate/commercial contract work, in either a top-tier commercial law firm or highly-regarded in-house position.
- A demonstrable passion for science and technology and an understanding of the United Kingdom’s science-to innovation communities and the exploitation of knowledge and intellectual property.
- Hands-on, energetic, intellectually curious.
- Personal credibility and the ability to inspire trust and respect of colleagues, displaying strong legal, commercial and business understanding with the ability to provide outstanding legal and commercial advice and support.
- Strong leadership, sound legal judgment and interpersonal and negotiation skills, including the ability to influence others and training of non-legal colleagues.
- Self-motivated and well organised with the ability to handle multiple, high-priority projects while attending to details; able to prioritise tasks and work well under pressure.
We offer a highly competitive salary and benefits package and the chance to work with an innovative global organisation.
This position is being handed exclusively by Thomson Legal. For a confidential discussion about this position or to apply, please contact:
David Thomson, Director
Glasgow: 0141 244 0260
Edinburgh: 0131 450 7164